Saturday, September 22, 2007

Water Charities

Last weekend I spoke at the British Dowsers annual congress. It was a really well organised conference with over 140 delegates. I had lots of interesting informal discussions with people and also many good questions in response to my presentation.

There was an interesting presentation by Village Water, a charity set up by dowsers to help provide water and sanitation to some villages in Zambia. The charity has very low overheads as the work in this country (UK) is done by volunteers. I gave them a donation and hope to be able to help them more in the future too.

Water is such an imporant thing - if people don't have access to clean water and good sanitation, the death rate amoung children is high and women spend a lot of their day collecting water. Water charites aren't glamorous - they don't have pictures of starving children or poor injured animals, but it is a fundamental human right and vital to everyone's health and well being.

Earlier this year I did a bike ride in Africa raising money for WaterAid. Tom, my son, and I set ourselves the task of raising GB Pounds 5000 and we've now done it - thank you to everyone who contributed.