Thursday, February 16, 2006

Failing the test

one of the most interesting things about alternative /complementary medicine is how it often fails the test, when it's put under the scientific spotlight. I have personal experience of this myself. some years ago I was having great success with leptin recognition and weight losss. I have a friend who is a University professor of nutrition - she was intersted in what I was saying - and so we got a student to look into it as part of their M.Sc. nutrition project. The results just weren't there - I felt very crushed by this at the time, and still have lots of questions about why that was the case.

This was all brought back to me this morning when I was surfing the web and came across some scientific studies of kinesiology showing they don't work. Inall cases the number of participants were small, but nevertheless they don't make encouraging reading for us.

The UK Daily Mail had a piece earlier this week which included an assertion from professor Ernst of Exeter University that there's no evdience that kinesiology works.

But I and lots of other practitioners know it does. Over the 20+ years I was in practice I worked with total sceptics, the severely mentally handicapped, animals and small babies and got very good results - in fact my heart used to sink when someone came in who had total faith that I was going to make them well - I much preferred the sceptics!

So what's going on? I've decided to start a new topic on our forum http://www.mytherapypractice.com/forum/ and see if others have any views on this.

I think this issue is important and it affcets other therapies not just kinesiology.