Monday, July 13, 2009

Patient's Lack Of Knowledge

A study in BMC Family Practice makes depressing reading. here is its conclusion:


Many patients and general public do not know the location of key body organs, even those in which their medical problem is located, which could have important consequences for doctor-patient communication. These results indicate that healthcare professionals still need to take care in providing organ specific information to patients and should not assume that patients have this information, even for those organs in which their medical problem is located.


It aslso indicates to me that people aren't really wnating to take responsibility for their illness. If I had a serious medical conditon, I would want to find out all I can about the illness so that I could see what I could do to help myself.