Saturday, November 10, 2007

Sugar

I had a visitor yesterday who apologised profusely for wanting sugar in his coffee. He said: "Knowing what you do, I know you won't approve." It reminded me of when my children were young and we went to another mum's house. There were lots of mums there and everyone was offered cake except me. I commented on this and she said: "Oh, I know how interetsed you are in health and that stuff so I didn't think you'd want cake."

It's interesting that people think I never eat cake or take sugar because I'm interested in health, but I believe strongly that a healthy person can eat cake and have some sugar - not all the time, but occasionally, and it's no big deal. If you can only stay healthy by avoiding lots of things all the time and following a strict regime, you are not truly healthy. We have evolved to live in an imperfect world (may be not as imperfect as it is!!), so it should be possible to do all sorts of things in moderation.